Want the recipe for the world’s easiest dessert? Pears, cinnamon, maple syrup, and water. Ta-da! No gluten, refined sugar, or dairy needed to make this decadent sweet warm winter treat. Poached fruit is a traditional and elegant dessert, guaranteed to delight and warm guests.
1. Fill a medium saucepan half-full with water (enough to cover the bottom half of your pears) and bring to medium heat (I use level 6 out of 10).
2. While water is warming, wash and peel 2 Bartlett pears (keep the peel on if you want more fibre)
3. Once water is hot, stir in 1/4 maple syrup and a few dashes of cinnamon. Place your pears in the pot and cover with a lid.
4. Let the steam and maple-cinnamon water gently poach your pears – this can take anywhere from 20-30 minutes. Check with a fork periodically to test for the softness you prefer.
5. Once pears are soft, remove from pot and place into a bowl to eat. Enhance sweetness by drizzling with caramel, dulce de leche, or homemade coconut whipped cream!
Experiment with different fruits and different flavours! For example, try poached pears with vanilla and star anise, or poached quince with honey, orange peels and cardamom. Think of warming flavours like mulled wine, vanilla, cinnamon, clove, cardamom, ginger, cocoa, nutmeg or star anise to keep you cozy.